Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Gaydar Experiment

Back in college, I met this guy who had gone to high school with one of my friends at a party. We spent a lot of time together talking that night and hit it off pretty well -- he seemed nice, smart and together. After going out on several dates, I respected the fact that he had never once tried to kiss me or even hold my hand, but a little alarm went off in my mind.

One night, we were talking on the phone and told me about the guy at the CD store who had flirted with him earlier that day. At first, I didn't see anything wrong with that; he's an attractive guy. But, then he proceeded to tell me that this sort of thing happened all the time. I started to get a bit suspicious.

Then he asked me, "When you first met me, did you think I was gay?" a Of course, I didn't think he was gay! Why would I have agreed to go out with him in the first place? Then he tells me that he's been trying to figure out whether or not he's gay and that I had been a test for him.

I was in such shock that I avoided his phone calls for months. As a matter of fact, I never talked to him again. I know it's not the most mature thing to do, but I felt used and a bit hurt. Dating me helps a guy figure out that he doesn't like women?

My friend who introduced us lived across the hall from me and when I asked her about it, her response was that she'd been wondering for years if he was gay. It took me a while to talk to her again, too.

Turns out his little experiment worked. The guy now exclusively dates men.

-- Name Withheld

No comments: