Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Three's a Crowd

I had an affair with a married man. I know, I know, it's wrong, it's a betrayal of my fellow womankind, these things only end in disaster, but nevertheless, I did it.

We worked at the same company, so we had a lot of opportunity to be together on the road. Our office was in Manhattan and I lived there, but he lived in the suburbs. So he'd come over to my place after work a lot and stayed over a fair amount, telling his wife he had to work late and was crashing at the company apartment in the city. The only person in my life who knew about us was my roommate.

From the start he told me he would leave his wife, but for one reason or another kept putting it off (she was sick, their son was having problems in school, etc., etc.) For four torturous years this went on, then, finally, he told me he was leaving her. He called me at work and asked me to meet him for a drink to talk about what this meant for us and our relationship. I couldn't have been happier, and nearly ran the few blocks to the bar. When I entered, he was sitting at a table and my roommate was there with him. In my excitement, I only thought this was a nice gesture to show how fully he was planning to join my life. When I sat down, the two of them told me that they had been together for over a year and were getting married.

He had left his wife for my roommate.

--Name Withheld

No comments: